Monday, January 25, 2010

Rough Day...Rougher Night

So, yesterday was a pretty rough day. The day started well. We went to church and my mom came and it was fairly normal. Later that morning we went to lunch with my dad's family at Galvin's in St. Joseph, MO. Lunch was yummy...fried chicken, potatoes, gravy, green beans, corn, bread, soup and my choice, pears with cranberry orange relish. But, then the day went down hill from there. We went to see my dad's grave with Jack and Ainsley. First of all, there isn't grass and it earth has REALLY sunk. I almost felt like I could see his coffin. That wasn't the bad part. We put flowers on his grave...that wasn't the bad part. The bad was when Jack asked to see Papa. He thought we were actually going to see Papa. That was the bad part. That broke my heart. I thought I was going to lose it! I kept it together, but cried in the car. I was pretty sure Jack was going to cry. He was so excited because he thought we were going to see Papa. I guess we kept telling him we were going to see where Papa was buried, but he didn't understand what I meant. Oh...I felt terrible. Ainsley kept saying, "Where's Papa", but of course, she didn't understand. I wish we could see Papa, but we have pictures and memories...but I don't think Jack understands.

From there, we went to my Aunt's house, so the day got better. I was nice just visiting with everyone.

Then we came home. Everything seemed fine until midnight. From there, Ainsley cried until 6am! I am exhausted. We went to the doctor and she has an ear infection. Luckily, I took her prescription to Target and they filled it within 10 minutes.

I miss my dad and I say I had a rough day, but I really didn't. I was surrounded by family who care. My mom came over today to help me with Ainsley. My dad's family was there to help us feel better. My Aunt Joan even suggested we take a picture out to the cemetery for Jack to see him. I received my Thumbie, which is my necklace that is my dad's thumb print to have. I know it sounds weird, but it is also nice to have something of my dad's, especially for my kids.

1 comment:

Katie said...

Carolyn, I'm so sorry. Your story just breaks my heart. How can such a young kid understand? Poor Jack, too.
I'm glad your family was there to help and that you found out about Ainsley's ear infection.
Praying for a better tomorrow for you.
Hugs.